Career Development - Ski School
Do you love to ski and ride? Have you ever considered sharing your knowledge, enthusiasm, and experience with other skiers or snowboarders? Whether you are looking for your first job in the ski industry, or you have had a career in teaching, as a ski instructor you'll be enhancing and changing the lives of future skiers and snowboarders. As a snow sports instructor you are not only teaching skiing and snowboarding; you are building relationships, trust, and having fun while helping students gain confidence while sliding on the snow.
Being a ski or snowboard instructor looks different for everyone:
- Part-time instructors teach only a few days a week, perhaps just on weekends.
- Full-time instructors teach during the entire season, including weekends and holidays.
- Some instructors prefer teaching beginners or children.
- Others prefer teaching on a competitive level.
- All instructors want to inspire a lifelong passion for skiing and snowboarding!
As a ski or snowboard instructor you can build your career towards becoming a certified instructor, or as a teacher in a classroom setting. Let skiing be your reason to join our community and work in the White Mountains.
How to Get Started
3 Steps to Becoming a Ski Instructor:
- Get involved. Every resort in New Hampshire offers on the job training. This includes on the snow clinics (pre-season and during the season) and off snow clinics. These clinics are great ways for trainers to learn about how you teach and what your skiing style is like. If you like taking clinics and want to continue to advance your career as an instructor you can take PSIA-AASI, U.S. Ski and Snowboard, or American Mountain Guides Association (AMGA) courses. Some employers will even pay for your training and certifications! See below for additional information on training programs.
- Find your niche. Pick a focus and pick a path. Kids, adults, groups, privates, adaptive, seasonal programs, freeride, freestyle, touring, alpine, cross country - there is something for everyone to teach out there. Most instructors start off with beginner groups, and continue to grow.
- Make a lifelong career out of it. You can move into a leadership role at your resort, school, team, club, or with a retail company.
PSIA & AASI - The Snow Pros
The Professional Ski Instructors of America and the American Association of Snowboard Instructors (PSIA-AASI) is the world’s largest organization dedicated to teaching people how to ski and snowboard. PSIA-AASI is connected to hundreds of ski and snowboard schools across the country and can help you learn how to become an instructor and find a job—even if you have no experience other than knowing how to ski or snowboard.
If you’re looking for a way to turn your love of skiing and snowboarding into a legit career or to become a better teacher, pursuing PSIA-AASI certification is for you. Certifications are badges of honor that symbolize your credibility and expertise. PSIA-AASI’s certification standards mean that no matter where you come from, you’ll teach to the same standards as thousands of PSIA-AASI members across the country.
PSIA & AASI Junior Instructor Program
Participating in the Junior Instructor Program, sponsored by the PSIA-AASI, will teach you what it is like to work as an instructor.
Taking part in this program:
- Develops important career skills for you, such as:
- Public speaking
- Managing group dynamics
- Opens doors to jobs in the outdoor industry
- Make you a better skier or snowboarder
- Keeps you fit all winter long
- Connects you with others who share your passion
Learn more about PSIA-AASI by watching the video below.
U.S. Ski and Snowboard
A U.S. Ski and snowboard membership is for coaches, officials, and those athletes. U.S. Ski and Snowboard encompass a variety of Sport Programs, Development Programs and Competitions, all aimed at developing athletes and supporting coaches, officials, parents, and volunteers while accomplishing the vision and mission to make the United States the "Best in the World" in Olympic skiing and snowboarding. They offer several levels of memberships which offer various benefits based on what you are looking for as an athlete. Whether you aim to be a ski instructor, competitive athlete, or competitive coach a U.S. Ski and Snowboard membership offers training benefits to fit your goals.
American Mountain Guides Association (AMGA)
The AMGA’s training courses, exams, and certifications are designed to certify you, the individual guide, with the skills necessary to effectively guide clients in Rock, Alpine, and/or Ski terrain. The International Federation of Mountain Guides Association (IFMGA) and the International Mountaineering and Climbing Federation (UIAA) have endorsed the 400+ programs the AMGA runs each year, which opens the door for individuals with our certifications to work not only in the United States, but all around the world as well.
Required Certifications for AMGA programs include:
- Current Wilderness First Responder (WFR) Certification or higher that meets the Minimum Guidelines and Scope of Practice for a WFR
- A current cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification
- Avalanche Certifications - For details on the updated avalanche education framework, please click here
Learn more about how to get started on a career path as a guide or instructor by checking out the AMGA Black Diamond Virtual mentorship Series by clicking here.
Interested in learning more about this career path?
We recommend speaking with some of folks who already do this for a living to get a sense of what’s involved and what kind of skills and education you’ll need to get started. Ski NH can connect you with someone email us at Info@SkiNH.com or call 603-745-9396.
Get to know some of the New Hampshire's great ski instructors by clicking on their photos below.
Attitash Mountain Village
Attitash Mountain Village has family-friendly spacious suites with kitchens, townhouses and trailside lodging at the base of Attitash Ski Resort.LEARN MORE
Winter trains on Mount Washington!
Climb the highest peak in the Northeast by rail, with daily departures to The Cog’s newly expanded Waumbek Station!LEARN MORE
Eastern Slope Inn Resort
The Eastern Slope Inn is the iconic resort of North Conway Village featuring family-friendly spacious suites and amenities, just minutes to ski areas.LEARN MORE
Best Vacation Homes in the area!
With a huge selection of homes, amazing customer service and keyless access, Bretton Woods Vacations is the best value in lodging in the White Mountains. With us, you’re home!LEARN MORE