Ski areas in New Hampshire and across the U.S. are committed to lift safety and helping educate guests about the skills necessary to load and unload lifts.
As part of the Responsibility Code, you are accountable for knowing how to load, ride and unload a lift safely. Riding lifts responsibly will help you have a safer day on the mountain.
Every lift is different, if you are not familiar with the lift you are riding, it is your first time on a chairlift, or if it is your first time in a while, ask for help.
Below are some tips for riding lifts safely.
- Before loading, observe others loading the lift before you.
- Remove backpacks and secure loose items before loading.
- Be aware of items that can get caught on the lift, such as scarves, pole straps, and long hair.
- Remove pole straps from wrists.
- If you need extra time to load the chair, ask the attendant to slow it down.
- Look over your shoulder to watch the chair approach.
- Sit all the way in the chair, with your back to the seat rest.
- If the lift has a safety bar, wait until everyone is seated, and slowly reach up and lower the bar. Do not attempt to lower the bar if you cannot reach it! Adults should always help kids to lower the bar.
- If you drop something, let it fall! You can always ask ski patrol for help retrieving the lost item.
- As you approach the top, prepare to raise the bar. Look for signs advising you to do so to help with your timing.
Follow the links below to learn about:
Bretton Woods – #1 in NH, #2 in the East, #4 in the USA!
Discover SKI magazine’s #1 Grooming & Lifts in the East! Plus #1 in NH and Top 5 for Snow Quality, Family, Guest Services, Lodging & Dining.LEARN MORE
New rustic style log cabins!
Enjoy the warmth of our rustic-style cabins, while minutes away from snowmobile trails entrance, and ski resorts.LEARN MORE
Nestled between Cannon Mountain and Bretton Woods, Carlson's Lodge is the perfect spot for your winter getaway!LEARN MORE
Attitash Mountain Village
Attitash Mountain Village has family-friendly spacious suites with kitchens, townhouses and trailside lodging at the base of Attitash Ski Resort.LEARN MORE